When the second House at B’Kara was established in 1896, Malta became a Semi-Province of the Discalced Carmelite Order. In the 20th century it was agreed to build a new church next to the old one as it was evident that more space was needed to accommodate the pilgrims devoted to St. Therese of Lisieux, a saint who was becoming always more popular with the passing of time from her demise.
Construction on the ferro-concrete Sanctuary dedicated to the Little Flower began in 1965 and was completed in 1982. This rotunda is among the largest churches in Malta and its awesome architectural design deserves special mention. The sanctuary was inaugurated and blessed soon after its completion. Today devotees of St. Therese visit the urn from all over the island. This church is among the most attended in Malta.
St. Therese Sanctuary
B’Kara0 BKR 9010
web site: www.ocdmalta.org