The only parish run by the Discalced Carmelites in Malta is at Ta’ Xbiex.Â The first friars came to reside here in 1948. The monastery was completed three years later, in 1951.Â At that time the ground floor was temporarily used for the liturgy and it was not until 1958 that Mass was celebrated in the church, as we know it today, dedicated to St John of the Cross. It was officially declared a parish in 1969.
The church is decorated by a large Cross, cast in iron, according to a small sketch depicted by the Saint of Duruelo himself. In 2009 the church ceiling was reinstalled and the construction work made it necessary to refurbish the inside of the church.Â The programme of works also includes an excavated parish centre and redesigning the convent ground floor.
St. John of the Cross Parish
Sir Temi Zammit Ave,
Ta’ Xbiex XBX 1015
Parish Tel.: 21317001
Web site: www.stjohnofthecross.net