The first community of Discalced Carmelite Friars was established in 1624. Two years later a temporary chapel was erected and work on the construction of the actual church, dedicated to St. Teresa of Jesus, began soon afterwards. An International Missionary College for the Discalced Carmelite Order was erected adjoining the church in order toÂ prepare missionaries who would proclaim the gospel in far away countries.Â The college stopped functioning towards the end of the 18th century when vocations in Europe were running short. The Knights of Malta frequently sought the spiritual guidance of the friars and found solace in personal retreats on the grounds surrounding the building. St. Teresa’s is currently the Novitiate House of the Maltese Province.
During the summer, english courses are offered to foreign religous students and seminarians.
List of Priors at St. Teresa’s Cospicua, Malta
St. Teresa’s Monastery
St. Teresa Street,
Bormla BML 1271