“On Palm Sunday, [the 11th of April] in the year 1568, with the people of the town, we went in procession to the church, in our white mantles and with veils covering our faces. A sermon was preached there, and from that church the Blessed Sacrament was brought to our monastery. This inspired great devotion in everybody.”
In this manner, in chapter 9, paragraph 4 of the Book of Foundations, our Holy Mother St Teresa described the foundation of the monastery in Malagon, the third of the Reform. So recently, on the 11th of April, the 450th anniversary of this event was celebrated enthusiastically by the inhabitants of this village in the Province of Ciudad Real, in Spain.
For some months now, numerous religious and cultural events have been unfolding in Malagon to celebrate this anniversary: the inauguration of a Teresian museum, the presentation of the memorial book for the 5th Teresian Centenary in Malagon, the opening of the “meeting door” in the monastery in which is represented in high relief Our Lady of Mt Carmel, St Joseph, St John of the Cross and St Teresa and the declaration of Teresa as the honorary Mayor of the locality.
450 years of the prayerful presence of the Discalced Carmelite nuns.